Thursday, March 18, 2010

Prayer Devotion Day 4

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (New International Version)
16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

The last couple of days, we have been specifically talking about intentionaly focused prayer or conversation with God. I hope that you have been connecting with God this week.

The above verse weaves a new concept in to our prayer life. Be joyful always and pray continually. Now does this mean that we neglect everthing in our life so that we can be in constant meditative prayer? No. This verse is more about awareness and intentionality. Here is what i mean.

I work for New Community. It is what God has called me to do, we believe he is doing a great thing through this local church. However, just as you go to work, i go to work as well. I serve NC, but also work on NC to make her better.

On my desk are files. Files that have to do with what makes NC unique and helps the church carry out the vision. Everyday, i work out of these files and everyday I am diligent in working hard. Here's the dilema, in my "work" it is very possible to not pray or think about God. I know, crazy talk coming from a pastor. But when i am thinking through leadership development, systems or financial processes, it is possible to not think about God because i am in a file.

Where are you going with this Chris? Be joyful, pray continually.

I literally open up a file and say God, be with me today as i work. thanks for this job. Speak to me as i am diligent in working hard. This happens multiple times a day with each thing i do.

So, whether or not i spend 20-30 minutes in focused prayer with God each day, i am weaving this "pray continually" into my workday so that i am intentionally staying connected to God.

Be joyfull, pray continually.

peace...

No comments: